1. Others supported his call for a leaner, more flexible EU.
call for 需要；要求
例句：This is not a call for articles of impeachment.
2. The German Chancellor Angela Merkel was quick to say she was prepared to talk about Britain’s wishes, but she said a fair compromise was needed.
talk about 谈论
例句：People would talk about that episode.
3. The French too are willing to discuss a more open, leaner EU.
be willing to 甘愿
例句：She would be willing to listen to your lessons.
4. This move sure to be endorsed by the Senate puts off one fiscal crisis, but another over sweeping cuts in defence and domestic spending due to take effect at the beginning of March is waiting in the winds.
due to 由于
例句：His success is due to industry.
take effect 生效
例句：The new traffic law will take effect next week.
5. decision, which is expected to be announced formally on Thursday, makes women available for hundreds of thousands of frontline positions and elite commando jobs, something never before known in the United States military.
be expected to 被期待做某事；有望做某事；期许
例句：You'll be expected to justify your actions.
6. But Pentagon commanders will still be allowed to make a case for any specific post they think should remain closed to women.
close to 近乎；临近
例句：The ship kept close to the coast.
7. It was the result which Florence Cassez had been hoping for for seven years since she was first accused of being part of a kidnapping ring in December 2005.
accuse of 指责，控告
例句：Critics accuse companies of using ads to mislead us.
8. The review was produced in response to the fatal rape of a student in Delhilast month.
in response to 对…做出反应
例句：A reply message in response to the request.