Part IV Cloze (15 minutes)
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D) on the right side of the paper You should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Wise buying is a positive way in which you can make your money go further. The_61_go about purchasing an article or a service can actually _62_ you money or can add _63_the cost.
Take the 64 example of a hairdryer. If you are buying a hairdryer, you might _65_ you are making the _66_ buy if you choose one _67_ look you like and which is also the cheapest _68_ price. But when you get it home you may find that it _69_ twice as long as a more expensive _70_ to dry your hair. The cost of the electricity plus the cost of your time could well _71_your hairdryer the most expensive one of all.
So what principles should you _72_when you go out shopping?
If you_73_ your home, your car or any valuable _74_in excellent condition, you'll be saving money in the long_75_ Before you buy a new _76_,talk to someone who owns one.If you can,use it or borrow it to check it suits your particular _77_.Before you buy an expensive _78_ ,or a service,do check the price and 79 is on offer. If possible, choose _80_ three items or three estimates.
61. A) formL B) way C) method D) fashion
62. A)raise B)retain C) save D) preserve
63. A) to B) on C) up D) in
64.A) single B) simple C) easy D) similar
65. A) convince B) examine C) accept D) think
66.A) best B) most C) proper D) reasonable
67.A) which B) whose C) its D) what
68. A) on B) for C) in D) with
69. A) spends B) lasts C) consumes D) take
70. A) mode B) copy C)model D) sample
71.A) make B) cause C) leave D) prove
72.A) lay B) stick C) adopt D) adapt
73. A) keep B) store C)reserve D) decorate
74. A) products B) material C) ownership D) possession
75. A) interval B) period C) run D) time
76. A) equipment B) appliance C) utility D) facility
77.A) goal B) task C) function D) purpose
78. A) item B) element C) particle D) component
79. A) this B) which C) what D) that
80. A) in B) from C) of D) by