Part III Vocabulary and Structure (20 minutes)
41. The grey building is where the workers live, and the white one is where the spare parts _____.
(A) are producing (B) are produced (C) produced (D) being produced
42. I could not persuade him to accept it, _____ make him see the important of it.
(A) if only I could not (B) no more than I could (C) or I could not (D) nor could I
43. Because of the _____ emphasis placed on classroom work, the instructor will report your absences to the adviser.
(A) large (B) strong (C) hard (D) high
44. Homework _____ on time will lead to better grades.
(A) done (B) be done (C) having done (D) to have been done
45. The speech _____ a lively discussion started.
(A) being delivered (B) was delivered (C) be delivered (D) having been delivered
46. I have had great deal of trouble _____ the rest of the class.
(A) coming up against (B) making up for (C) keeping up with (D) living up to
47. _____ for my illness I would have lent him a helping hand.
(A) Not being (B) Had it not been (C) Without being (D) Not having been
48. _____ a teacher in a university, it is necessary to have at least a master’s degree.
(A) To become (B) Become (C) One become (D) On becoming
49. The little man was _____ more than one metre fifty tall.
(A) nearly (B) quite (C) hardly (D) almost
50. Certain programs work better for some _____ for others.
(A) and (B) than (C) as (D) but
51. Some plants are so sensitive _____ pollution that they can only survive in a perfectly clean environment.
(A) from (B) against (C) to (D) with
52. It does not alter the fact that he was the man _____ for the death of the little girl.
(A) accounting (B) guilty (C) responsible (D) obliged
53. Medical care reform has become this country’s most important public health _____.
(A) question (B) stuff (C) matter (D) issue
54. Not that John doesn’t want to help you, _____ it’s beyond his power.
(A) but that (B) for that (C) and that (D) in that
55. It is not unusual for workers in that region _____.
(A) to be paid more than a month late (C) to pay later than a month more
(B) to be paid later than more a month (D) to pay late more than a month
56. I used to smoke ____ but I gave it up three years ago.
(A) seriously (B) heavily (C) badly (D) severely
57. The doctor told Penny that too much _____ to the sun is bad for the skin.
(A) exposure (B) extension (C) exhibition (D) expansion
58. Michael used to look hurt and surprised when _____.
(A) scolding (B) to scold (C) having scolded (D) scolded
59. He decided to make further improvements on the computer’s design _____ the light of the requirements of customers.
(A) on (B) for (C) in (D) with
60. If you don’t like to swim, you _____ stay at home.
(A) should as well (B) may as well (C) can as well (D) would as well
61. To be frank, I’d rather you _____ in the case.
(A) will not be involved (B) not involved (C) not to be involved (D) were not involved
62. If you suspect that the illness might be serious you should not _____ going to the doctor.
(A) put off (B) hold back (C) put aside (D) hold up
63. If you want to know the train schedule, please _____ at the booking office.
(A) acquire (B) inquire (C) request (D) require
64. He thought that _____.
(A) the effort doing the job was not worth (C) it was not worth the effort doing the job
(B) the effort was not worth in doing the job (D) it was not worth the effort by doing the job