Part III Vocabulary and Structure (20 minutes)
41. I would appreciate _____ it a secret.
(A) your keeping (C) that you keep
(B) you to keep (D) that you will keep
42. Mark often attempts to escape _____ whenever he breaks traffic regulations.
(A) having been fined (C) to have been fined
(B) to be fined (D) being fined
43. No matter how frequently _____, the works of Beethoven always attract large audiences.
(A) performing (C) to be performed
(B) performed (D) being performed
44. It is recommended that the project _____ until all the preparations have been made.
(A) is not started (C) not be started
(B) will not be started (D) is not to be started
45. I wish I ____ longer this morning, but I had to get up and come to class.
(A) could have slept (C) might have slept
(B) slept (D) have slept
46. We didn’t know his telephone number, otherwise we _____ him.
(A) would have telephoned (C) would telephone
(B) must have telephoned (D) had telephoned
47. Turn on the television or open a magazine and you _____ advertisements showing happy, balanced families.
(A) are often seeing (C) will often see
(B) often see (D) have often seen
48. While people may refer to television for up-to-minute news, it is unlikely that television _____ the newspaper
(A) replaced (C) replace
(B) have replaced (D) will replace
49. An Olympic Marathon is 26 miles and 385 yards, _____ approximately from Marathon to Athen.
(A) distance (C) the distance
(B) is the distance (D) the distance is
50. You will want two trees about ten feet apart, from _____ to suspend your tent.
(A) there (C) which
(B) them (D) where
51. As I was just getting familiar with this job, I had _____ to ask my boss.
(A) many (C) more
(B) most (D) much
52. ____ quite recently, most mothers in Britain did not take paid work outside the home.
(A) Before (C) From
(B) Until (D) Since
53. The survival of civilization as we know it is _____ threat.
(A) within (C) towards
(B) under (D) upon
54. Scientists say it may be five or ten years _____ it is possible to test this medicine on human patients.
(A) since (C) after
(B) before (D) when
55. In some countries, _____ is called "equality" does not really mean equal rights for all people.
(A) which (C) that
(B) what (D) one
56. I walked too much yesterday and _____ are still aching now.
(A) my leg’s muscles (C) my leg muscles
(B) my muscles of leg (D) my muscles of the leg
57. Radio, television and press _____ of conveying news and information.
(A) are the most three common means (C) are the three most common means
(B) are the most common three means (D) are three the most common means
58. Liquids are like solids _____ they have a definite volume.
(A) in that (C) with that
(B) for that (D) at that
59. When a fire ____ at the National Exhibition in London, at least ten priceless paintings were completely destroyed.
(A) broke off (C) broke down
(B) broke out (D) broke up
60. The destruction of these treasures was a loss for mankind that no amount of money could _____.
(A) stand up to (C) come up with
(B) make up for (D) put up with
61. Then the speaker _____ the various factors leading to the present economic crisis.
(A) went after (C) went into
(B) went for (D) went on
62. The students was just about to _____ the questions, when suddenly he found the answer.
(A) arrive at (C) work out
(B) submit to (D) give up
63. When there are small children around, it is necessary to put bottles of pills out of _____.
(A) reach (C) hold
(B) hand (D) place
64. The _____ of blood always makes him feel sick.
(A) sight (C) look
(B) view (D) form
65. In Britain, the best season of the year is probably _____ spring.
(A) later (C) latter
(B) last (D) late