Part ⅢVocabulary and Structure(20 m inutes)
Directions: There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part.For each sentence there are four choices marked A)， B)，C) and D) .Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence.Then mark the corresponding letter on the Anwer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
41. She ought to stop work；she has a headache because she ______ too long.
A) has been reading B) had read C) is reading D) read
42. Niagara Falls is a great tourist ______ drawing millions of visitors every year.
A) attention B) attraction C) appointment D) arrangement
43. I don’t mind ______ the decision as long as it is not too late.
A) you to delay making B) your delaying making
C) your delaying to make D) you delay to make
44. The hopes goals，fears and desires widely between men and women，between the rich
and the poor.
A) alter B) shift C) transfer D) vary
45. Corn originated in the New World and thus was not known in Europe until Columbus
found it ______ in Cuba.
A) being cultivated B) been cultivated C) having cultivated D) cultivating
46. The sale usually takes place outside the house,with the audience _____ on benches，chairs or boxes.
A) having seated B) seating C) seated D) having been seated
47. This kind of glasses manufactured by experienced craftsmen ______ comfortably.
A) is worn B) wears C) wearing D) are worn
48?Some diseases are _____ by certain water animals.
A) transplanted B) transformed C) transported D) transmitted
49. Wouldn’t you rather your child _______ to bed early?
A) go B) went C) would go D) goes
50. Although Anne is happy with her success she wonders _____ will hap pen to her private life.
A) that B) what C) it D) this
51. The words of his old teacher left a _____ impression on his mind.He is still
influenced by them.
A) long B) livelyC) lastingD) liberal
52. Mike’s uncle insists ______ in this hotel.
A) staying not B) not to stay C) that he would not stay D) that he not stay
53. We agreed to accept ______ they thought was the best tourist guide.
A) whatever B) whomever C) whichever D) whoever
54. It is our ______ policy that we will achieve unity through peaceful means.
A) consistent B) continuous C) considerate D) continual
55. Between 1974 and 1997，the number of overseas visitors expanded ______ 27%.
A) by B) for C) to D) in
56. Although many people view conflict as bad，conflict is sometimes useful it forces
people to test the relative merits of their attitudes are behaviors.
A) by which B) to which C) in that D) so that
57. He is ______ about his chances of winning a gold medal in the Olymp ics next year.
A) optimistic B) optional C) outstanding D) obvious
58. Sometimes I wish I ______ in a different time and a different place .
A) be living B) were living C) would live D) would have lived
59. The director was critical ______ the way we were doing the work.
A) at B) in C)of D) with
60. In a sudden ______ of anger，the man tore up everything within reac h.
A) attack B) burst C) split D) blast
61. ______ she realized it was too late to go home.
A) No sooner it grew dark than B) Hardly did it grow dark that
C) Scarcely had it grown dark than D) It was not until dark that
62. In Britain people ______ four million tons of potatoes every year.
A) swallowB) disposeC) consume D) exhaust
63. I’d ______ his reputation with other farmers and business people in the community，
and then make a decision about whether or not to approve a loan.
A) take into account B) account for C) make up for D) make out
64.It is essential that these application forms ______ back as early as possible.
A) must be sent B) will be sent C) are sent D) be sent
65. She cooked the meat for a long time so as to make it ______ enough to eat.
A) mild &nbs, p;B) slight C) light D) tender
66. We take our skin for granted until it is burned ______ repair.
A) beyond B) for C) without D) under
67. The computer revolution may ewll change society as ______ as did the Industrial
A) certainly B) insignificantly C) fundamentally D) comparatively
68. ______ in this way，the situation doesn’t seem so disappointing.
A) To look at B) Looking at C) Looked at D) To be looked at
69. A lot of ants are always invading my kitchen.They are a thorough ______ .
A) nuisance B) trouble C) worry D) anxiety
70. Some women ______ a good salary in a job instead of staying home，but they decided
not to work for the sake of the family.
A) must make B) should have made C) would make D) could have made