Part ⅢVocabulary and Structure (20 minutes)
Directions: There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A) , B) , C) and D) . Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Anwer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
41. It is important that the hotel receptionist _______ that guests are registered correctly.
A) has made sure B) made sure C) must make sure D) make sure
42. I suggested he should _______ himself to his new conditions.
A) adapt B) adopt C) regulate D) suit
43. I’ll never forget _______ you for the first time.
A) to meet B) meeting C) to have met D) having to be meeting
44. Cancellation of the flight _______ many passengers to spend the night at the airport.
A) resulted B) obliged C) demanded D) recommended
45. That young man still denies _______ the fire behind the store.
A) start B) to start C) having started D) to have started
46. _______ in a recent science competition, the three students were awarded scholarships totaling $21,000.
A) Judged the best B) Judging the best
C) To be judged the best D) Having judged the best
47. Wihtout proper lessons, you could _______ a lot of bad habits when playing the piano.
A) keep up B) pick up C) draw up D) catch up
48. Everything we eat and drink contains some salt; we can meet the body’s need for it from natural sources without turning
_______ the salt bottle.
A) up B) to C) on D) over
49. He always did well at school _______having to do part-time jobs every now and then.
A) in spite of B) regardless of C) on account of D) in case of
50. ______ receiving financial support from family, community or the government is allowed, it is never admired.
A) As B) Once C) Although D) Lest
51. All the key words in the article are printed in _______ type so as to attract readers’ attention.
A) dark B) dense C) black D) bold
52. The basic features of the communication process are identified in one question:Who says _______ through what channel to
A) how B) when C) what D) such
53. I didn’t _______ to take a taxi but I had to as I was late.
A) assume B) suppose C) mean D) hope
54. The hours _______ the children spend in their one-way relationship with television people undoubtedly affect their
relationships with real-life people.
A) in which B) on which C) when D) that
55. I’d rather have a room of my own, however small it is, than _______ a room with someone else.
A) share B) to share C) sharing D) to have shared
56. In Disneyland, every year, some 800,000 plants are replaced because Disney refused to _______ signs asking his "guests" not to step on them.
A) put down B) put out C) put up D) put off
57. _______ difficulties we may come across, we’ll help one another to overcome them.
A) Wherever B) Whatever C) However D) Whenever
58. So many directors _______, the board meeting had to be put off.
A) were absent B) been absent C) had been absent D) being absent
59. On New Year’s Eve,New York City holds an outdoor _______ which attracts a crowd of a million or more people.
A) incident B) event C) case D) affair
60. American football and baseball are becoming known to the British public through televised _______ from the United States.
A) transfer B) d, eliveries C) transportation D) transmissions
61. He will surely finish the job on time _______ he’s left to do it in his own way.
A) in that B) so long as C) in case D) as far as
62. If this kind of fish becomes _______, future generations may never taste it at all.
A) minimum B) short C) seldom D) scarce
63. The bank is reported in the local newspaper _______ in broad daylight yesterday.
A) being robbed B) having been robbed
C) to have been robbed D) robbed
64. Agriculture was a step in human progress _______ which subsequently there was not anything comparable until our own
A) in B) for C) to D) from
65. The same factors push wages and prices up together, the one _______ the other.
A) emphasizing B) reinforcing C) multiplying D) increasing
66. No one had told Smith about _______ a lecture the following day.
A) there being B) there be C) there would be D) there was
67. Operations which left patients _____ and in need of long periods of recovery time now leave them feeling relaxed and
A) exhausted B) abandoned C) injured D) deserted
68. I was halfway back to the cottage where my mother lived ______ Susan caught up with me.
A) when B) while C) until D) though
69. _______ the temperature falling so rapidly, we couldn’t go on with the experiment.
A) Since B) For C) As D) With
70. The bed has been _______ in the family.It was my great-grandmother’s originally.
A) handed out B) handed over C) handed down D) handed round