Part III Vocabulary (20 minutes)
Directions There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
31. I went along thinking of nothing ______, only looking at things around me.
A) in particular B) in harmony C) in doubt D) in brief
32. Critics believe that the control of television by mass advertising has ______ the quality of the programs.
A) lessened B) declined C) affected D) effected
33. I must congratulate you ______ the excellent design of the new bridge.
A) with B) of C) at D) on
34. There is a fully ______ health center on the ground floor of the main office building.
A) installed B) equipped C) provided D) projected
35. For more than 20 years, we’ve been supporting educational programs that _____ from kindergartens to colleges.
A) move B) shift C) range D) spread
36. The ______ at the military academy is so rigid that students can hardly bear it.
A) convention B) confinement C) principle D) discipline
37. The test results are beyond______; they have been repeated in labs all over the world.
A) negotiation B) conflict C) bargain D) dispute
38. I was so ______in today’s history lesson. I didn’t understand a thing.
A) amazed B) neglected C) confused D) amused
39. It ______ you to at least 50% off the regular price of either frames or lenses when you buy both.
A) presents B) entitles C) credits D) tips
40. Deserts and high mountains have always been a ______ to the movement of people from place to place.
A) barrier B) fence C) prevention D) jam
41. In order to make things convenient for the people, the department is planning to set up some ______ shops in the
A) flowing B) drifting C) mobile D) unstable
42. Mr. Smith says The media are very good at sensing a mood and then ______ it.
A) overtaking B) enlarging C) widening D) exaggerating
43. This is not an economical way to get more water; ______, it is very expensive.
A) on the other hand B) on the contrary C) in short D) or else
44. It was the first time that such a ______had to be taken at a British nuclear power station.
A) presentation B) precaution C) preparation D) prediction
45. ______ that he wasn’t happy with the arrangements, I tried to book a different hotel.
A) Perceiving B) Penetrating C) Puzzling D) Preserving
46. The board of the company has decided to ______ its operations to include all aspects of the clothing business.
A) multiply B) lengthen C) expand D) stretch
47. His business was very successful, but it was at the ______ of his family life.
A) consumption B) credit C) exhaustion D) expense
48. First published in 1927, the charts remain an ______ source for researchers.
A) identical B) indispensable C) intelligent D) inevitable
49. Joe is not good at sports, but when it______mathematics, he is the best in the class.
A) comes to B) comes up to C) comes on to D) comes around to
50. Doctors warned against chewing tobacco as a ______ for smoking.
A) relief B) revival C) substitute D) succession
51. When carbon is added to iron in proper ______the result is steel.
A) rates B) thicknesses C) proportions D) densities
52. You should try to ______ your ambition and be more realistic.
A) reserve B) restrain C) retain D) replace
53. Nancy is only a sort of ______ of her husband’s opinion and has no ideas of her own.
A) sample B) reproduction C) shadow D) echo
54. Now that spring is here, you can ______ these fur coats till you need them again next winter.
A) put over B) put away C) put off D) put down
55. There is a _____ of impatience in the tone of his voice.
A) hint B) notion C) dot D) phrase
56. Please ______dictionaries when you are not sure of word spelling or meaning.
A) seek B) inquire C) search D) consult
57. At yesterday’s party, Elizabeth’s boyfriend amused us by ______ Charlie Chaplin.
A) copying B) following C) imitating D) modeling
58. She keeps a supply of candles in the house in case of power ______.
A) failure B) lack C) absence D) drop
59. The group of technicians are engaged in a study which ______ all aspects of urban planning.
A) inserts B) grips C) performs D) embraces
60. The lecture which lasted about three hours was so ______ that the audience couldn’t help yawning.
A) tedious B) bored C) clumsy D) tired