Part III Vocabulary (20 minutes)
Directions: There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
31. This is not an economical way to get more water; , it is very expensive.
A) or else C) on the contrary
B) in short D) on the other hand
32. First published in 1927, the charts remain an source for researchers.
A) intelligent C) inevitable
B) indispensable D) identical
33. You should try to your ambition and be more realistic.
A) restrain C) reserve
B) retain D) replace
34. There is a of impatience in the tone of his voice.
A) dot C) notion
B) hint D) phrase
35. Deserts and high mountains have always been a to the movement of people from place to place.
A) jam C) fence
B) barrier D) prevention
36. Joe is not good at sports, but when it mathematics, he is the best in the class.
A) comes up to C) comes to
B) comes around to D) comes on to
37. Please dictionaries when you are not sure of word spelling or meaning.
A) search C) inquire
B) seek D) consult
38. Critics believe that the control of television by mass advertising has the quality of the programs.
A) affected C) lessened
B) effected D) declined
39. She keeps a supply of candles in the house in case of power
A) drop C) failure
B) lack D) absence
40. For more than 20 years, we’ve been supporting educational programs that from kindergartens to colleges.
A) spread C) move
B) shift D) range
41. I was so in today’s history lesson. I didn t understand a. thing.
A) confused C) amused
B) neglected D) amazed
42. I must congratulate you the excellent design of the new bridge.
A) with C) on
B) at D) of
43. Now that spring is here, you can these fur coats till you need them again next winter.
A) put over C) put down
B) put off D) put away
44. I went along thinking of nothing only looking at things around me.
A) in brief C) in harmony
B) in doubt D) in particular
45. In order to make things convenient for the people, the department is planning to set up some shops in the residential
A) flowing C) drifting
B) mobile D) Unstable
46. The lecture which lasted about three hours was so that the audience couldn’t help yawning.
A) tedious C) bored
B) clumsy D) tired
47. It you to at least 50% off the regular price of either frames or lenses when you buy both.
A) credits C) presents
B) entitles D) tips
48. When carbon is added to iron in proper the result is steel.
A) rates C) proportions
B) densities D) thicknesses
49. There is a fully health center on the ground floor of the main office building.
A) equipped C) provided
B) projected D) installed
50. Nancy is only a sort of of her husband’s opinion and has no ideas of her own.
A) shadow C) reproduction
B) sample D) echo
51. Mr. Smith says: quot;The media are very good at sensing a mood and then it.quot;
A) exaggerating C) widening
B) overtaking D) enlarging
52. The at the military academy is so rigid that students can hardly bear it.
A) confinement amp;nbs
53 A) succession C) revival
B) substitute D) relief
54. It was the first time that such a had to be taken at a British nuclear power station.
A) presentation C) prediction
B) preparation D) precaution
55. The board of the company has decided to its operations to include all aspects of the clothing business.
A) multiply C) lengthen
B) stretch D) expand
56. The test results are beyond ; they have been repeated in labs all over the world.
A) conflict C) bargain
B) dispute D) negotiation
57. The group of technicians are engaged in a study which all aspects Of urban planning.
A) embraces C) inserts
B) performs D) grips
58. that he wasn’t happy with the arrangements, I tried to book a different hotel.
A) Puzzling C) Perceiving
B) Penetrating D) Preserving
59. His business, was very successful, but it was at the of his family life.
A) exhaustion C) credit
B) consumption D) expense
60. At yesterday’s party, Elizabeth’s boyfriend amused us by Charlie Chaplin.
A) modeling C) following
B) imitating D) copying