Part 2 Vocabulary Replacement
This part consists of 15 sentences in which one word or phrase is underlined. Below each sentence, there are 4 choices respectively marked by letters A, B, C and D. Choose the word or phrase that can replace the underlined part without causing any grammatical error or changing the basic meaning of the sentence. There is only ONE right answer. Blacken the corresponding letter as required on your Machine-scoring ANSWER SHEET.
21. Iceland has the oldest parliament, which goes as far back to 930 A.D. when Althing, the legislative organization, was established.
A. office B. adobe
C. assembly D. building
22. The only problem with the debate last week was that the beginning sounded more like a personal attack than a dispassionate, intellectual arguing.
A. discussion B. argument
C. talk D. speech
23. Susan Jones was at the bus stop well on time to take the 7:01 bus, but she had to miss her breakfast to do it.
A. catch up with B. catch
C. run up to D. be catching
24. Since her father could not drive her to the airport, she requested her uncle to drive her instead.
A. take B. bring
C. dispatch D. deliver
25. A famous collection of Persian, Indian, and Arabian folktales, the Arabian Nights was supposedly told by the legendary queen Scheherazade to her husband every night for 1,001 days.
A. imaginary B imagery
C. fabled D. legend
26. What may be the oldest fossil footprint yet found was discovered in June 1968 by William J. Meister, a non-professional fossil collector.
A. a part-time B. a spare-time
C. an untrained D. an amateur
27. Most of us think of sharks as dangerous, owing to lack of information rather than fear.
A. due to B. because
C. as D. for