Section 1: Vocabulary and Grammar (25 points)
This section consists of 3 parts. Read the directions for each part before answering the questions. The time for this section is 25 minutes.
Part 1 Vocabulary Selection
In this part, there are 20 incomplete sentences. Below each sentence, there are 4 choices respectively marked by letters A, B, C and D. Choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence. There is only ONE right answer. Then blacken the corresponding letter as required on your Machine-scoring ANSWER SHEET.
1. Grover Cleveland was the first president __________ in the White House.
A. got married B. to get married
C. has got married D. was married
2. If cauliflowers are not __________ from extreme temperatures, the heads get discolored.
A. protected B. shelter
C. shade D. saved
3. The gas __________ from the tank is dangerous.
A. given off B. giving out
C. giving away D. given up
4. When it started to snow, we turned round and __________ the hotel.
A. got by B. searched for
C. made for D. cleared up
5. Since writing home to their parents for money, they had lived _________ hope.
A. in B. for
C. on D. through
6. Rice is the __________ food of most Southeast Asians.
A. common B. general
C. staple D. popular
7. William Byrd was the owner of the largest library in colonial __________.
A. period B. time
C. times D. periods
8. Exobiology is the study of life __________ other planets.
A. in B. at
C. on D. to
9. The Declaration of Independence, __________ the Constitution of the United States, was drawn up with the help of Benjamin Franklin.
A. and B. also
C. as well as D. so too
10. It was from the Lowell Laboratory that the ninth __________ , Pluto, was sighted in 1930.
A. planet B. constellation
C. stardom D. satellite