Domestic cattle provide us with milk, beef and hides.?
有些集体名词，如foliage,machinery,equipment,furniture,merchandise,通常作不可数名词，随后的动词用单数。例如：All the machinery in the factory is made in China.?
集体名词，如audience, committee, class, crew, family, public, government等，既可作单数，也可作复数用。?
The city council is meeting to set its agenda.?
4)a committee,etc. of +复数名词?
如果主语是由“a committee of /a panel of /a board of +复数名词”构成，随后的动词通常用单数。例如：?
A committee of five men and three women is to consider the matter.?
tired, exhausted, fatigued, weary, worn?out
Henry was so tired that he went to bed immediately after he got home.亨利很疲惫，一到家就上床睡觉去了。?
The exhausted engineer fell asleep on the bus.精疲力竭的工程师在公共汽车上睡着了。?
He felt fatigued and didn’t want to say a single word.他疲惫不堪，不想说一句话。?
After a long and weary wait, the plane finally came to take them back.经过漫长而又令人疲乏的等待后，飞机终于来接他们回去了。?
The troops were worn?out after winning the battle.战后,部队疲惫不堪。??
1. Although ?______? Spanish, he attended the course.?
A. he was knowing B. he is knowing?
C. having a knowledge of D. knows?
2. You ?______?that letter to James. However, you didn’t.?
A. ought to write B. ought to have written?
C. should write D. should be writing?
3. Joseph was very lucky ?______? with his life; he almost did not get out of the room.?
A. to escape B. to have escaped?
C. to escaping D. to be escaping?
4. Bread and butter ?______?liked by Westerners.?
A. is B. are C. were D. be?
5. The back garden of our house contains a lawn, ?______?
very pleasant to sit on in summer.?
A. which is B. which it is C. it is D. where it is?
6. He set up in business ?______? his own and was very successful.?
A. in B. of C. on D. by?
7. John’s score on the test is the highest in the class; he ?______?
A. must study B. should have studied?
C. must have studied D. is sure to study?
8. Frank almost never received any education, ?______??
A. would he B. did he?
C. didn’t he D. wouldn’t he?
9. Even if his letter ?______? tomorrow, it ?______?
too late to do anything.?
A. will arrive...is B. should arrive...were?
C. arrives...will be D. arrives...would be?
10. We can hear ?______?from the back of the room.?
A. just as good B. just as easy ?
C. just as well D. easily as well?
11. To obtain a satisfactory result, one must apply two ?______?
of paint on a clean surface.?
A. coats B. levels C. times D. courses?
12. The small mountain village was ?______? by the snow
for more than one month.?
A. cut back B. cut out?
C. cut off D. cut away?
13. Miss Green was ?______? $100 for driving after drinking.?
A. fined B. charged C. punished D. posed?
14. Modern ?______? perhaps causes more problems than it solves.?
A. technique B. technology?
C. tactics D. tendency?
15. Mary tiptoed over and took the clock away because she hated to hear
it ?______? when she was trying to go to sleep.?
A. sounding B. ringing C. ticking D. humming?
16. Under this ?______? pressure some of the rocks even
A. intensive B. weighty C. intense D. bulky?