Part of the following sentence is underlined; beneath the sentence are five ways of phrasing the underlined material. Select the option that produces the best sentence. If you think the original phrasing produces a better sentence than any of the alternatives, select choice A.
Unlike an acoustic guitar, whose hollow body acts as a sound box to project sound, there is almost no sound when a solid-body electric guitar is not amplified.
- there is almost no sound when a solid-body electric guitar is not amplified
- there is not an amplification system, so a solid-body electric guitar makes almost no sound
- an amplification system is needed for solid-body electric guitars, if they are to make much sound
- the electric guitar’s solid body makes it have almost no sound without the aid of an amplification system
- the solid-body electric guitar is almost soundless without the aid of an amplification system
Correct Answer: E
Choice (E) is correct. It avoids the error of the original by directly comparing one type of guitar (“an acoustic guitar”) to another (“the solid-body electric guitar”).
Question Type: Improving Sentences