1. Some people believe that since oil is scarce， the ________ of the motor industry is uncertain.
A) terminal B) benefit C) fate D) estimate
2. To speed up the ________ of letters， the Post Office introduced automatic sorting.
A) treatment B) delivery C) transmission D) departure
3. These overseas students show great ________ for learning a new language.
A) enthusiasm B) authority C) convention D) faith
4. The defense lawyer was questioning the old man who was one of the ________ of the murder committed last month.
A) observers B) witnesses C) audiences D) viewers
5. Politically these nations tend to be ________， with very high birth rates but poor education and very low levels of literacy.
A) unstable B) reluctant C) rational D) unsteady
1. I hope my teacher will take my recent illness into ________ when judging my examination.
A) regard B) counting C) account D) observation
2. Important people don’t often have much free time as their work ________ all their time.
A) takes away B) takes over C) takes up D) takes in
3. When I was very young, I was terribly frightened of school, but I soon ________ it.
A) got off B) got across C) got away D) got over
4. Many people complain of the rapid ________ of modern life.
A) rate B) speed C) pace D) growth
5. American women were ________ the right to vote until 1920 after many years of hard struggle.
A) ignored B) neglected C) refused D) denied