Part Ⅰ Writing (30 minutes)
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write an essay commenting on the saying“Respect others, and you will be respected.” You can cite examples to illustrate your views. You should write at least 150 words but no more than 200 words.
Respect Others and You Will be Respected
With the society and economy developing rapidly, a growing number of people are paying close attention to new values, while certain essential and crucial ones are not and will never be out of date. There is no doubt in saying that everyone longs for respect from others due to the truth that respect has been a basic mental need throughout human society.
What is the best way to earn respect from others? Obviously, it is not hard to come up with the answer, to respect others, be it in words or manners. Just as a famous writer, Zhou Guoping, once put it, one’s dignity can be fully expressed by showing respect for others. It is a fact that showing respect for our family, our friends, our colleagues and anyone who is worth being respected not only plays an indispensable role in gaining respect from others but also contributes to the construction of a harmonious society.
Respect others, and you will be respected. To enhance the awareness of respecting others from the bottom of heart is of great significance to achieving a happiness-enhancing life. It is imperative for us to cultivate and develop this traditional and treasurable quality. Only in this way can we exert a positive influence on social environment.
Part II Listening Comprehension (25 minutes)
Directions: In this section, you will hear three news reports. At the end of each news report, you will hear two or three questions. Both the news report and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A), B), C), and D).Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 1 with a single line through the centre.
1. C) They facilitate the donation of unsold foods to the needy.
2. B) It passed a law aiming to stop overproduction.
3. D) It has banned supermarkets from dumping edible foods.
4. A) The confusion over food expiration labels.
5.B) It has just launched its annual anniversary sales.
6. D) Price adjustments within seven days of purchase.
7. C) Credit it to her account.
8. D) Complimentary tailoring.
9. A) They are thin, tall, and unlike real human beings.
10. D) Their body shapes have not changed much.
11. C) On the Internet.
12. A) Movable metal type began to be used in printing.
13. B) It was the biggest printer in the 16th century.
14. B) It boosted the circulation of popular works.
15. D) It promoted the growth of national languages.
16. D) They choose a job without thinking it through.
17. B) Find out what job choices are available.
18. A) The qualifications you have.
19. B) It is a cultural festival founded for African-Americans.
20.C) To help African-Americans to realize their goals.
21. B) The first fruits of the harvest.
22. A) They recite a principle.
23. A) It is one of the world’s most healthy diets.
24. C) It is regarded as one of the greatest researches of its kind.
25. D) They have lower mortality rates.
Part III Reading Comprehension (40 minutes) Section A
Directions: In this section, there is a passage with ten blanks. You are required to select one word for each blank from a list of choices given in a word bank following the passage. Read the passage through carefully before making your choices. Each choice in the bank is identified by a letter. Please mark the corresponding letter for each item on Answer Sheet 2 with a single line through the centre. You may not use any of the words in the bank more than once.
26. C) emergency
27. D) feeding
28. K) reproduces
29. I) originated
30. G) handful
31. F) halted
32. L) security
33. N) unchecked
34. A) dependent
35. J) reduction
Directions: In this section, you are going to read a passage with ten statements attached to it. Each statement contains information given in one of the paragraphs. Identify the paragraph from which the information is derived. You may choose a paragraph more than once. Each paragraph is marked with a letter. Answer the questions by marking the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 2.
36. E) Online services are so designed that the more they are used, the more profit they generate.
37. L) The author admits using technology as an escape from the task at hand.
38. I) Checking phones at dinners is now accepted as normal but not belching.
39. O) To make proper use of technology, we should not only increase our awareness of how it is changing but also how it is impacting us.
40. B) Most of us find it hard to focus on our immediate tasks because of internet distractions.
41. J) When one person starts checking their phone, the others will follow suit.
42. F) The great majority of smartphones users don’t take trouble to adjust their settings to suit their own purposes.
43. D) The Internet is regarded by some as designed to distract our attention.
44. L）The author attributes his tech addiction chiefly to his habit of putting off doing what he should do right away.
45. G) White-collar workers check email round the clock because it is required by their employers.
Directions: There are 2 passages in this section. Each passage is followed by some questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should decide on the best choice and mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 2 with a single line through the centre.
46. B）He created a drink containing alcohol without breaking law.
47. D）They were strange to the Europeans when first imported from West Africa
48. A）Cocaine had become notorious.
49. D）it has remained virtually unchanged since its creation
50. A）the evolution of Coca-Cola
51 A) They were divided into residential and business areas.
52 B) They have seen a rise in property prices.
53 D) look deserted in the evenings
54 C) More comfortable life and greater upward mobility
55 B) More chances for promotion
Part Ⅳ Translation (30 minutes)
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to translate a passage from Chinese into English. You should write your answer on Answer Sheet 2.
太湖是中国东部的一个淡水湖，占地面积 2250 平方公里，是中国第三大淡水湖，仅次于潘阳和洞庭。太湖约有 90 个岛屿，大小从几平方米到几平方公里不等。太湖以其独特的“太湖石”而闻名，太湖石常用于装饰中国传统园林。太湖也以高产的捕鱼业闻名。自上世纪 70 年代后期以来，捕捞鱼蟹对沿湖的居民来说极其重要，并对周边地区的经济做出了重大贡献。太湖地区是中国陶瓷（ceramics）业基地之一，其中宜兴的陶瓷厂家生产举世闻名的宜兴紫砂壶（clay teapot）。
Taihu Lake is a freshwater lake in Eastern China, covering an area of 2250 square kilometers. It is the third last freshwater lake of China, only after Poyang Lake and Dongting Lake. Taihu Lake has about 90 islands, whose sizes vary from several square meters to several square kilometers. Taihu Lake is well known for its unique “Taihu Stone”, which is often used to decorate traditional Chinese gardens. Taihu Lake is also famous for its high-yield fishing industry. Since the late 1970s, fishing fish and crabs is rather important for the residents along the lake and makes great contribution to the economy of the surrounding areas.
Taihu Lake region is one of the bases of Chinese ceramics, and the manufacturers of pottery in Yixing produce world-famous Yixing clay teapots.