35. William replaced the witan , the council of the Anglo-Saxon kings, with the Grand Council of his new tenants-in-chief.
36. The Doomsday Book, completed in 1086, was the result of general survey of England made in 1085, and stated the extent , value, the population, state of cultivation and ownership.
37. William’s policy towards the church was to keep it completely under his control, but at the same time to uphold its power.
38. Henry Π was the first king of the House of Plantagenet. He took measures to bring the disorders of king Stephen reign to an end.
39. Henry Π greatly strengthened the King’s Court and extended with its judicial work. He insisted that all clerks charged with criminal offences should be tried in the King’s Courts instead of in the Bishop’s Court.
40. It was these exceptional privileges enjoyed by the clergy that brought King Henry into collision with Tomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury.