16. the English are Anglo-Saxons, but the welsh, Scots and Irish are Celts.
17. The Celts of Wales defended their freedom for 1000 years and were not conquered by the English until 1536. today about a quarter of the welsh population still speak welsh as their first language and about one percent speak only welsh.
18. though the Gaelic language is still heard in the Highlands and western isles, the English language is spoken all over the Scotland.
19. Since then, there has been bitter fighting between the Protestants who are the dominant group, and the Roman Catholics who are seeking more social and economic opportunities.
20. About three million have came to live and find work since world war second. They are mainly from the West Indies, India and Pakistan.