1. Traffic laws are of little use if drivers simply ignore them and law enforcement departments fail to adopt effective enforcement programs .
2. Agricultural modernization cannot be achieved unless the government substantially increases funding ; farmers accept advanced agronomic techniques ; and consumers engaged in a concerted effort to reduce unnecessary and exorbitant waste .
3. Effective flood control is not only necessary , but is also essential for protecting the lives of millions of Chinese citizens .
4. Simple expressions of indignation are no substitute for meaningful actions to right a wrong .
5. Even modest increases in education allocations are better than none .