Impressing your boss is key to getting promoted and making more money.
And career expert Alexandra Levit has a few easy tips for making it happen. She recommends you start first with your immediate boss because they're most aware of your day-to-day efforts. They're also most integral in performance reviews and promotions. Here are her five tips.
1. Be the can-do employee. Accept any assignment graciously and without complaining. Take a leadership role in the group even if its outside your comfort zone.
2. Look for new challenges. Don't get reticent because you're good at your current role. Keep thinking of new ideas.
3. Practice good time management。Get assignments done before deadline. Never make your boss ask when something will be ready.
4. Be proactive and be your boss' friend. Know his or her spouse and children and work to make small-talk. This will make it easier to come to your boss with ideas.
5. Keep up-to-date。Read trade publications and follow industry-relevant people on Twitter. Your boss will appreciate if you're in-the-loop about stuff they don't have time to follow.