IN THIS LESSON THE TAPE TEACHES YOU THE AMERICAN PRONUNCIATION OF SEVEN IMPORTANT VOWEL SOUNDS. YOU WILL LEARN TO PRODUCE THESE PRONUNCIATIONS IN COMBINATION WITH THE PITCH AND MUSCULARITY STYLES YOU ALREADY LEARNED.
I told you earlier how important it was to learn American intonation and muscle styles before doing pronunciation drills. Well, the time has come. You're now about to begin studying the actual American pronunciations of vowels and consonants. PLEASE REMEMBER TO KEEP USING THE TWO SKILLS YOU JUST LEARNED. If you forget to use the American muscle style and the JUMP UP and STEP DOWN intonation, it's unlkely that you will ever come close to native-sounding pronunciation.
The five American diphthongs, or double vowels, are the best examples of why you must continue using verything you've already learned when trying to correct your pronunciation. In order to sound like they're coming from a native speaker, these sounds must be produced with both downward pitch movement and a lot of muscle work in the rear tongue. In other words, each of these sounds must be made with the QUICK AMERICAN GLIDE you just studied in the last lesson. Follow the instructions on the tape closely. Repeat the sounds, words, and sentences which are modeled on the tape. After each of the five sounds, stop the tape. You'll find additional words and sentences for that vowel printed in the manual. Try using the same techniques on those additional drills, even though they are not modeled for you on the tape.
1. THE "AH-EE" DIPHTHONG (as in "sky" and "mile")
MILE, NIGHT, TIME, ADVICE, IDENTIFY
- I'M REALLY FINE. - IT'S A SIGN OF THE TIMES. - I TRIED TO FIND MYSELF. - MY GUIDE AND I HAD A FINE TIME.
Now try these additional drills that aren't recorded on the tape.
HIGH, ICY, EYE, DIE, SHY, RIDE, FILE, CRY, AISLE, FLIGHT, CRIME, RIGHT, LIGHT, BRIGHT, WHILE, SLICE, VIRUS, BAPTIZE, ADVICE, PLIABLE, STYLE, SPICY, SHINE, PINE, PILE, RHYME
- I DON'T HAVE TIME TO FIND HIM. - PLEASE TRANSCRIBE ALL FIVE DIALOGUES. - LIFE ON DRY LAND ISN'T VERY EXCITING. - MY SON IS THE PRIDE OF MY LIFE. - THERE WERE FIVE KINDS OF DRIED SPICED. - HE SLICED THE FRIED FISH ON FRIDAY NIGHT.
2. THE "AH-OO" DIPHTHONG (as in "house" and "out")
OUT, HOUR, OUNCE, MOUSE, SHOWER, ABOUT, COUNT, FLOWER
- THEY WENT OUT OF TOWN. - THEY CROWDED AROUND. - HE RAN AROUND AND ABOUT THE TOWN. - HE'S PROUD OF LOSING ABOUT TEN POUNDS.
Now continue practicing with the following words and sentences.
COWARD, POWDER, AMOUNT, ANNOUNCE, OUNCE, MOUNTAIN, SOUTH, ABOUND, PROFOUND, ALLOW, ROUND, BROWN, CROWD, TOWEL, MOUSE, DOWN, FOUL, BOUND, FLOWER, HOUSE, FOUND, CONFOUND, HOW
- IT WAS THE LOUDEST HOUND IN TOWN. - THEY FOUND IT AROUND THE HOUSE. - I DOUBT THAT FLOWERS CAN GROW IN THAT GROUND. - THE LOUD CROWD PROWLED AROUND THE TOWN. - HE COUNTED THE HOURS AFTER SHE WENT OUT. - WILD FLOWERS GROW OUT THERE IN THE MOUNTAINS.
3. THE "EH-EE" DIPHTHONG (as in "aim" and "great")
AIM, ACE, APRIL, EIGHT, CAME, BABY, GREAT, SHAME, FAILURE
- IT'S A GREAT DAY, TODAY. - THEY SAILED AWAY TO SPAIN. - HE'S A REAL ESTATE AGENT. - IT WAS A GREAT DAY IN APRIL.
Now continue practicing with these additional drills.
WEIGHT, CHASED, RAIN, DISPLAY, TAKE, PLAYER, NEIGHBOR, MAYBE, HASTE, SAFETY, INVESTIGATE, FREIGHT, TRAIL, JAILER, WHALE, FRAME, HAZE, LAKE, AGGRAVATE, ATE SAGE, PAIN, APE, LACE
- GREAT PAIN CAME OUR WAY TODAY. - KATE HAS THE MOST FAMOUS FACE IN THE NATION. - DON'T DELAY MAILING YOUR PAYMENT. - MY REAL ESTATE AGENT FOUND AN EIGHT ACRE LOT. - THE WHALES SPRAYED WATER WHILE SWIMMING AWAY. - DON'T FAIL TO TAKE A WALK BY THE LAKE.
4. THE "OH-OO" DIPHTHONG (as in "old" and "snow")
OVER, OLD, OPEN, SO, GROW, MOMENT, SLOWLY
- THE BOAT WENT OVER THE OCEAN. - SMOKE ROLLED OUT OF THE WINDOW. - JOE PUT THE DOUGH INTO THE BOWL. - HE FLOATED HOME IN THE ROWBOAT.
Now try these additional drills.
LOW, ROMANCE, PHOTO, WROTE, NOTION, GHOST, GROCERY, BLOWN, SO, TOMATO, PHONE, OAKEN, MOMENT, MOTION, DON'T, WINDOW, BOLD, LOAF, FOLD, CONE, HOPE, SEW, MOLE, ECHO, LOAN, OLD, COAL, HOTEL, FOLD
- THE OBOE AND CELLO SAT ALONE. - THE TONE OF THE ECHO ROLLED OVER THE HILLS. - HE ATE A ROAST WITH A TOMATO. - I SAID HELLO TO ALL THE FOLKS I KNOW. - IT SNOWED IN OHIO OVER THE HOLIDAYS. - THE OWNER OF THE BOAT ROWED HOME ALONE.
5. THE "AW-EE" DIPHTHONG (as in "boy" and "oil")
OYSTER, OIL, OINTMENT, VOICE, TOIL, APPOINTMENT
- ROY HEARD A JOYFUL NOISE. - THE BOY OILED HIS TOY. - THE SOYBENS WERE IN THE SOIL. - HE REJOICED BY EATING OYSTERS.
Now try the same sound on these additional drills.
REJOICE, COIL, POISE, VOID, SPOIL, BROIL, ASTEROID, APPOINT, AVOID, VOYEUR, MOISTURE, CLOISTER, HOIST, SOY SAUCE, CHOICE, EXPLOIT, ENJOY, ROYALTY, POIGNANT, JOIN, OILY, LOIN, COIN
- THE OTHER BOYS JOINED IN THE NOISE. - HIS ROYAL HEAD WAS ANOINTED WITH OIL. - DON'T LOITER ON NOISY CITY STREETS. - BOIL THE FISH; THEN BROIL IT WITHOUT ANY OIL. - SOMETIMES ROYAL EXPLOITS ITS LOYAL SUBJECTS. - HE APPOINTED ROY TO GET OINTMENT FOR HIS JOINTS.
TWO UNUSUAL VOWELS
There are two vowel sounds that exist in very few languages other than English. They are the vowels in the words "cat" and "sun." Follow the directions on the tape for the correct pronunciations of these sounds.
1. THE "UH" SOUND (as in "under" and "mother")
BUT, HUT, UNDER, US, MOTHER, LOVE, SON, MONDAY
- THE PUPPY DUG UNDER THE FENEC. - THE BUM STUMBLED INTO THE LUMBER YARD. - MY MOTHER LOVED MY BROTHER VERY MUCH. - WE COVERED UP THE OTHER COUPLE'S LUNCH.
Now try the additional drills for this vowel.
STUBBRON, UNTER, RUSH, NUN, DELUXE, TROUBLE, COVER, HUSH, STRUGGLE, DISCUSS, WONDER, STUDY, BRUSH, LUNCH, COME, BUS, STUMP BRUNT, SUPPER, BUNK, NOTHING, MUMBLE, STUDY, UNSUNG
- THE STUNTMAN STUMBLED AND TUMBLED INTO THE MUD. - THE DRUNK MUMBLED SOMETHING UNDER HIS BREATH. - COME TO LUNCH WITH MY BROTHER AND ME. - I WONDER IF GUS CAN COME UP TO THE HUNTING LODGE. - SHUT UP ABOUT THE BLOOD STAIN UNDER THE TABLE. - MOTHER'S CLUB ACTIVITIES TAKE MUCH OF HER TIME.
2. THE "A" SOUND (as in "at" and "man")
MAN, BAT, CAT, HAND, DISASTER, ANSWER
- THE MAN IS STANDING BACK THERE. - LAST HIGHT THE CAT ABANDONED THE KITTENS. - I CAN'T STAND YOUR LACK OF MANNERS. - ASK ANY BASHFUL MAN IF HE CAN DANCE.
Once again, try the additional drills.
AFTER, PASSAGE, BASKET, HALF, ASK, PATH, CASTLE, TRAP, COMMAND, AS, MASS, FRANCE, GLASS, ADMIRAL, SANDWICH, FABRIC, BATH, LAUGH, APPLE, ABSOLUTE, MASTER, GRAND, STAND, AVERAGE, CATEGORY, AND
- THE PASSENGERS WERE TRAPPED WITHOUT THEIR BAGGAGE. - THE GLASS SHATTERED AFTER DAN TRIED TO STAND ON IT. - HE PASSED OUT HALWAY UP THE PATH. - HE COMMANDED THE CASTLE AFTER THE CAPTAIN ABANDONED IT. - I CAN'T ACCEPT THAT ANSWER FROM AN ATHLETIC MAN. - IT'S A BAD HABIT TO TAP YOUR HAND ON THE WAX APPLES.
THE FIVE DIPHTHONGS