[LANGUAGE NOTE: Many language groups such as SPANISH, ITALIAN, PORTUGUESE (European) , and RUSSIAN roll or trill the R-sounds with the front of the tongue. Others, such as FRENCH, HEBREW, GERMAN, and PORTUGUESE (Brazil) produce a throaty R-Shading, or, in the case of JAPANESE, CHINESE and other East Asian speakers, move it toward the sound of the L. American-style R-Shadings (as well as initial R-Sounds) must be practiced by speaker from all first language groups.
Follow the instructions on the tape for creating the American-style R-Shading when the letter 'R" comes after a vowel, Then repeat the following words and sentences which are recorded on the tape.
Now here are many additional words and sentences containing R-shaded vowels. The following drills are not included in the taped instruction.runner brother father worker singer player sister later master dancer helper mother letter neither reader lighter weaker nicer carrier writer
- The burglar and his helper stirred up such a clamor.
- My mother, my father, my sister and brother thank you.
- The runner staggered over the hill.
- Either was a good talker, but she never wrote letters.
- This summer went faster and further than last.
- Herman was the first to win thirty games.
- The German hurdler was the scourge of the early games.
- Carl and Marni formed an artful partnership.
- Park the car in Harvard Yard.
- The two sergeants are college archery partners.
- Are all the place guards qualified marksmen?
- Arthur charged out of the arbor unharmed.
- Fourteen bored sportsmen adorned the shore.
- Forty gory creatures poured through the French doors.
- The spores were found in the core of the ornament.
- The Concord poured forth exhaust causing sore throats.
- More and more support came forth for the orphans' party.
- An air of excitement rarely blares down the stairs.
- Where did the polar bear go?
- Pay your fare, then tell the driver where to go.
- The flu scare was hard to bear.
- Where can I get my hair cut very carefully?
- Never fear, the wheel to steer is near the gear shift.
- The earring fell clear of the nearby pool.
- Be sincere my dear; it's a queer world.
- I'm sincere about wanting the deer to appear this year.
- A key of beer appeared near the rear window.
- You're sure you can endure the long tour?
- Poor hunters offer no allure to sure
- Insurance is a poor risk on guided tours.
- The cure for polio makes Salk's name endure.
- I'm secure that Mr. Moore will endure.