L6/S1: THE "M" Phonetic Symbol: [ m ]
SPELLING: "m" or "mm" as in MAN CAMP HAMPER HAMMER
MOTHER, MOVE, MOTION, TOMORROW, MARY
- MY MOTHER HOPES I'LL MARRY IN THE MONTH OF MAY.
- MANY MOONS AGO A MAN MADE A MAP OF MINNESOTA.
Now try these extra M drills which aren't on the tape.
meet, mitten, Mexico, map, moose, moss, mop, mother, mail, most, mile, mouse, moist, mere, moors, marble, ham, temper, empty, important, simple, Jim, slim, game, home, immense, imitate, ember, consumer, coming, summer, swarming, calm, some, team
- My mother was emotional when she came home from Maine.
- Mike mixed cream and mint into my mild emulsion
- Crime-mongers claim that criminals can't reform.
- Make hammering noises sometime after early morning.
- Most of the time his slam-dunk motion is monotonous.
L6/S2: THE "N" Phonetic Symbol: [ n ]
[LANGUAGE NOTE: The next two sounds -- "N" and "NG"--cause the most difficulty for EAST ASIAN language speakers. This is particularly true for CHINESE and SOUTHEAST ASIAN languages. So pay particular attention to these two sounds, and the drills which contrast them. You also find speakers of GERMAN, YIDDISH, RUSSIAN, and other SLAVIC languages will put extra "K" at the end of the "NG" consonant.]
NAME, NEIGHBOR, NO, NARROW, NANCY, NOBLE
ANN, SAND, SIN, BRAIN, RAIN, BEN, SOON
And how about a few more drills not on the tape?
knee, nip, nebula, napkin, noon, neutral, knob, number, nail, notice, nice, now, near, nautical, number, nail, notice, nice, now, near, nautical, number, nail, notice, nice, north, enough, interest, enter, antics, soonest, tawny, tainted, toner, downy, teen, grin, pen, pain, pun, spoon, spawn
- You never know when to stop the nonsense.
- I'm not annoyed at Noah for negotiation the annuity.
- He's interested in taking the tainted products away.
- Sit inside the pavilion instead of in the sun.
- Is anyone interested in annotating the notebook?
- Ned announced which train was arriving next.
L6/S3-A: THE " NG" Phonetic Symbol : [