Part V READING COMPREHENSION
SECTION A MULTIPLE-CHOICE QUESTIONS
41. In Para. 1, the phrase “set my feet” probably means _____.
答案：B. prepare me
42. It can be concluded from Para. 2 that _____.
答案：A. the man wanted to maintain dignity though starved
43. Compared with Brother A， Brother B was more_____towards the effect of the one-million-pound bank-note on a total stranger.
44. Which of the following is the best title for the passage?
答案：B. Popular Peace Symbols.
45. The rainbow represents the connection between human beings and their gods in all the following countries EXCEPT _____.
46. In North Europe mistletoe was often hung in doorways to indicate_____.
47. The origin of the ankh can date back to_____.
答案：D. ancient Egypt
48. What is the author’s attitude towards Clinton’s proposal to welfare?
49. It can be inferred from Para. 7 that optimum penalties are_____to the underclass.
50. Which of the following is the most appropriate title for the passage?
答案：D. Disease of Despair.
SECTION B SHORT-ANSWER QUESTIONS（说明：这部分答案不是唯一，只要意思对了就可以。）
51. In Para. 4, what does the man mean by saying “I had to bear my trouble”？
答案：I had to endure hunger and not to eat.
52. What can be inferred from the last sentence of the passage?
答案： I was chosen to try out the million-pound note.
53. Why does the UN use the olive branch in its symbol?
答案： Because it symbolizes peace and unity in modern culture.
54. According to the author, what balance should we keep in welfare?
答案：To make basic needs meet and low-paid work attractive.
55. What does the author mean by saying “Even under the worst of circumstances, we believe we are in control of our lives” (Para. 10)?
答案：Even taking low-paid jobs, we have hope for the future.