1. ____is the core of the English Government.
A the Sovereign B the House of Lords C the House of Commons D the Cabinet
2. Melbourne is located ____
A in Canada B in New Zealand C in Ireland D in Australia
3. ____forced Nixon to resign in 1973.
A The Watergate Scandal B The Iran-Gate Scandal
C The Un-American Activities Committee D The New Right
4. The young people in the post-WWI era are referred to as “_____”
A the Boom Generation B the Lost Generation
C the Yuppies D the Cowboys
5. ____was greatly influenced by Chinese and Japanese poetry.
A Ezra Pound B Walt Whitman C Robert Frost D Edgar Allan Poe
6. Which of the following novels was NOT written by Charles Dickens?
A David Copperfield B The Pickwick Papers
C Oliver Twist D Women in Love
7. A myth is a ____ tale originally with religious significance that explains the actions of gods or heroes, the causes of natural phenomena or both.
A non-fictional B fictional C gothic D poetic
8. The force of a/an ____ act is identical with the speaker’s intention.
A illocutionary B locutionary C perlocutionary D prelocutionary
9.Saussure distinguishes the linguistic competence of the speaker as ____
A parole B language C system D langue
10. The noun “tear” and the verb “tear” are ____
A homophones B homographs C complete homonyms D allophones
1. The population of the United States is a bit more than 272 million, about 13% of which are Black, 12 % are Hispanic(讲西班牙语的人)，4% are Asian and the rest are White Americans.
2. It is the third most populous country in the world after China and India.
3. The most populous states are California, Texas, New York, Florida and Illinois.
4. More than 80% of Americans live in urban areas.